10 basic tips to consider when invited/preparing for an online interview:
1. Get to know the online technology that the interviewer(s) will use. Is it a phone call, WhatsApp, Skype or Zoom interview? If not clear, ask.
2. Familiarize yourself with the online tools that you’ll be using. Understand how Zoom/Skype works and test it well in advance. Test the sound and video quality.
3. Ensure that your internet connection is stable. If using mobile data, make sure it’s adequate to sustain the call to the end.
4. Ensure the lighting and the background is good. Remove background clutter. Isolate yourself in a place where you’ll not have any noise distractions.
5. For Zoom/Skype calls, use your desktop or laptop instead of your phone. They’re more stable especially for video calls.
6. Mute all notifications on your computer/phone to avoid unnecessary distractions.
7. Ensure that your posture is right. Just because it’s a remote interview does not mean you slouch on your couch. Maintain an upright posture.
8. Prepare on the other job specifics just like you would for a face-to-face interview
9. Dress up like you would for a face-to-face interview.
10. Be all set at least 10 minutes to the start of interview.
For more information and job opening updates join our Post NYSC community